Sunday, January 10, 2010

Usher: I Was A Big Fan, Now You Suck.




Wuddup folks, I know the title seems harsh but its the truth. Usher was once the Kobe to Micheal Jackson's Jordan. But it seems like every since he got maried his music, image, and style have been below par. Growing up such a big fan of MJ, I LOVE pop soul. With MJ being so quite after his HIStory album I started looking around for acts that are reminicent of his style.The first guy up was Usher.

It was the "My Way" album that many of us got to know and became fans of Usher, though it wasnt his first....but nobody cares about the first album.LOL. I was a casual fan of "You Make Me Wanna" and "Nice and Slow" but something about the third single "My Way" made me a bonifide fan. The song featured smooth but hip production by Jermaine Dupri and it also featured Usher being both a gentleman and a pimp.


"dont check me, it was your girl who let me, take it this far so, oooohhh weee (ooohhh weee) she had to have it every chance that she could get"-Usher "My Way"

 He was RAPPING that part. So for me to be about 12, going into junior high that following fall of 98, I looked up to Usher. Most males didnt admit to being RnB fans and giving cred to a dudes pimp skills, but I did, ESPECIALLY since I was hella shy and a novice at gettin girls at the time.So for me Usher was THAT dude. Not to mention that his vid for the song was ill, creative, and instantly likeable.Alot like Mjs vids.

So fast forward, after being off the scene for a couple years Usher comes back with the album 8701. I remember watching BET and seeing the vid for "You Remind Me" for the first time and thinking it had alot in common with MJs vid for"The Way You Make Me Feel", pair that with Ushers new Left-Field but fly fashion steeze and you have the return of one of my former favs.












Fast forward about two years and news of Ushers break up with for TLC member Chili started picking up attention, and Usher was rumored to have ruined the relationship because of a sidepiece he knocked up.With all the anticipation of him elaborating on the breakup details and the succes of the genius Lil Jon and Ludacris collab "Yeah" Usher's next album "Confessions" FLEW out of the stores selling over a million copies the first week and eventually going Diamond (selling ten million records).

I was dissapointed that there were no Neptunes tracks on this album, but I also learned  that he didnt need any...apparently, the fans didnt care. I didnt get my MJ type track on this album, which was full of slow jams and mid tempos, but it was a good piece of work. Later her released the special edition of the album featuring the single "My Boo" with Alicia Keys (who happens to me MY boo) paired with the "Rhythm City" short film/long video. AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME.

(Peep the "Rock With You" homage the single shot is paying to MJ....dope)





At this Point Usher is one of my favorite artist ever. His track record is Flawless, and he is building himself into an all time great.So time for the next album right? *sound of plane crashing*

"Here I Stand" was the title of the next album. It was talked about heavily as a "mature" album. It was to  reflect the lifestyle of the new husband-father Usher that he had become in between albums. Deep down I knew it was going to be wack, but UR-sher had never let me down before, so I gave it a whirl....#Fail.

Instead of keeping me moving on the dance floor, nodding my head in the car, or even singing along, he chose to bonbard me and his other eager fans with hum-drum typical RnB.Not POP RnB, just RnB. Now if this was Carl Thomas, the album would have been a success, but this is a guy who"s last album went DIAMOND. YOU HAVE TO MAKE AN ALBUM FOR THE WORLD not just black folks between the ages of 28 and 40.

Usher-Trading Places

BOOOOOOO!!!!! Who gave you this GAY concept? So is ol girl gonna hit it from the back next? #c'mon son...





AND DUDE...

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING MARRYING Tameka? Dude Ive seen you pull some HEAT!!!! and this what you give me?...really? Ok, beside the point but....naw no its not.I was DISSAPOINTED. I was dissapointed in the singles, The Tour (which was on some ladies only type stuff which i dig, but you are USHER not Peabo Bryson bro..). Now what do we have? Another hum drum single "Papers", which Im Sure is meant to build anticipation of all his divorce details on the next album....But nobody cares.

At one point Usher and Justin were rivals, now Justin is lookin WAY better on the material end than Usher....


Justin: Hey dude, Im winning...better step ya game up
Usher: White boy you aint better than me!
Justin: All your fans disagree...buddy. *slaps his butt, in a sportsman like no-homo type way*




Listen Usher, if you ever read this, know that its all in an effort to revive your past awesomeness, cause for the past couple years you have been real regular, and thats just not you.I hope.

*puts on "u dont have to call" and drives off*


what do yall think?

No comments:

Post a Comment